Join the Niagara Freewheelers for a three-day cycling adventure to explore the picturesque countryside around Peterborough when the fall colours will be at their best. Tour Leader Eveline Stout is organizing the event. Originally from Niagara, Eveline now resides in Peterborough and is looking forward to meeting ‘old’ Freewheelers friends and making some new ones. Remember to pack your walking shoes in case the weather is less than perfect for cycling or your cycling legs need a break. If you have any questions, please email Eveline Stout.
Here’s What You Need to Know About the Cycling
- ‘B’ level rides
- A variety of rides will be offered.
- Will ride as a group, slowing down if the group gets too spread out, and stopping at all turns. No one will be left behind.
- Hills are impossible to avoid in the Kawarthas, and Day 2 and Day 3 do have some. There are rail trail options for those not prepared to do hills.
- We’ll follow the COVID-19 – Guidelines for Cycling. Remember to carry a mask, hand sanitizer, and disposable gloves when you are riding.
Super 8 Wyndham by Peterborough, 1257 Lansdowne Street West, Peterborough
- A block of 10 rooms is on hold until September 6
- Rooms have 2 queen beds
- Room rate: $110 + tax (2 persons); $10 per person for additional persons in room
- For reservations call: 705-876-8898 (Code: Freewheelers)
- May cancel reservation up to day of arrival
- Breakfast included (may have to take it to your room)
- Pool, hot tub, fitness room (subject to COVID-19 restrictions)
- Breakfast room will be available for socializing in the evenings, if it can be done safely
Once your room reservation is made, please email your name/cell phone number to Eveline Stout.
There are many restaurants in downtown Peterborough and near the Super 8 Wyndham. Most restaurants offer curb-side pickup/patio dining (if open in October). The small restaurants only have a few inside tables at this time, so cannot accommodate a group. Everyone is on his/her own for evening meals.
Day 2 – October 7
Start Time: Decided by group on Day 1
Options 1 & 2
Start Location: Super 8 Wyndham, 1257 Lansdowne Street West, Peterborough
Lunch Options: Restaurants are available for take-out food/patio dining or pack a picnic lunch. FreshCo is just 1 km from the hotel. Let’s hope for a warm day so we can enjoy our lunch outdoors. If it’s raining, windy, or cold, it won’t be much fun eating outdoors so bring weather-appropriate gear. Everyone should be prepared to bring snacks/lunch/water for the ride in case the situation changes and places are closed.
Ride Option 1: Group rides to Millbrook (loop) with choice of returning to hotel (50 km, terrain 3 – rolling with some hills) or adding 17 km as described in Option 2. Millbrook: food, snacks, and lunch options.
Ride Option 2: Add 17 km to Option 1 and return to hotel (67 km return, terrain 2 for 17 km – multiple and/or large hills). No food available on this route. No guide for this option.
Options 3 & 4
Start Location: Jackson Park, 610 Parkhill Road West (corner of Parkhill and Monaghan Roads), Peterborough
Ride Option 3: Rail trail ride on hard-packed gravel. Choose your out/back distance: Doube’s trestle bridge (30 km return, terrrain 4 – flat); Omemee (40 km return); or beyond. Lunch options in Omemee. No guide for this option.
Ride Option 4: Guided loop to Riverview Park and Zoo and back through the city to Jackson Park (paved path with sections of hard-packed gravel & sections of road connecting the paths), 20 km return, terrain 4 – flat, except for one short ‘push-your’ bike up incline). Lunch options in Peterborough.
Ride Option 5: Complete Ride Option 4 and then do Ride Option 3. So many choices!
Non-Ride Option – Guided Hike Through the Woods
Start Time: 10 am
Start Location: Meet guide at 1351 Armour Road (corner of Armour Road and Nassau Mills Road), Peterborough. You will see a chip truck (The Cabin) in the parking lot.
Distance Options: 1 to 2 hours (determined by participants)
What to Bring: Water/snacks. Poles and hiking shoes are not necessary, but bring them if you have them and feel more comfortable using them.
Options for Non-cycling Partners or Friends
- Ask Eveline for suggestions
Sights to See in the Area
- Lock 21 Lift Lock, Peterborough – Ashburnham Drive at Hunter Street East
- Peterborough Museum & Archives
- The Canadian Canoe Museum
- Liftlock Cruises
- Lang Pioneer Village
- Peterborough Lift Lock Visitor Centre
Bike Shops in the Area (Due to COVID-19, call for hours, procedures, etc.)