Join the Niagara Freewheelers for a three-day cycling adventure to explore the picturesque countryside around Peterborough when the fall colours will be at their best. Tour Leader Eveline Stout is organizing the event. Originally from Niagara, Eveline now resides in Peterborough and is looking forward to meeting ‘old’ Freewheelers friends and making some new ones. Remember to pack your walking shoes in case the weather is less than perfect for cycling or your cycling legs need a break. If you have any questions, please email Eveline Stout.
Here’s What You Need to Know About the Cycling
- ‘B’ level rides
- A variety of rides will be offered.
- Will ride as a group, slowing down if the group gets too spread out, and stopping at all turns. No one will be left behind.
- Hills are impossible to avoid in the Kawarthas, and Day 2 and Day 3 do have some. There are rail trail options for those not prepared to do hills.
- We’ll follow the COVID-19 – Guidelines for Cycling. Remember to carry a mask, hand sanitizer, and disposable gloves when you are riding.
Super 8 Wyndham by Peterborough, 1257 Lansdowne Street West, Peterborough
- A block of 10 rooms is on hold until September 6
- Rooms have 2 queen beds
- Room rate: $110 + tax (2 persons); $10 per person for additional persons in room
- For reservations call: 705-876-8898 (Code: Freewheelers)
- May cancel reservation up to day of arrival
- Breakfast included (may have to take it to your room)
- Pool, hot tub, fitness room (subject to COVID-19 restrictions)
- Breakfast room will be available for socializing in the evenings, if it can be done safely
Once your room reservation is made, please email your name/cell phone number to Eveline Stout.
There are many restaurants in downtown Peterborough and near the Super 8 Wyndham. Most restaurants offer curb-side pickup/patio dining (if open in October). The small restaurants only have a few inside tables at this time, so cannot accommodate a group. Everyone is on his/her own for evening meals.
Day 1 – October 6
Start Time: 1:30 pm (helmets on and ready to ride)
Start Location: Beavermead Park, 2011 Ashburnham Drive, Peterborough. Look for the chip truck (The Cabin) on the corner and enter the park at Marsdale Drive. Park in left parking lot. Cross walking bridge (in line with Marsdale Drive) to find picnic area and washrooms. Eveline will meet riders on the south side of the left parking lot at 1 pm.
Lunch Options: Make sure you eat lunch before the ride! Bring a picnic lunch to eat at the park; pick up lunch at the chip truck (limited to hamburgers, chips, etc., but the food is yummy) in the park; eat lunch on route from Niagara; check out a local restaurant (take-out food/patio dining); or pick up lunch from FreshCo (just 1 km from hotel). Let’s hope for a warm day so we can enjoy lunch outdoors. If it’s raining, windy, or cold, it won’t be much fun eating outdoors so bring weather-appropriate gear. Everyone should be prepared to bring snacks/water for the ride in case the situation changes and places are closed.
Ride Option 1: Group rides to Lakefield (out & back), with choice of returning to Beavermead Park (30 km return, terrain 4 – flat) or adding 20 km as described in Option 2. Lakefield: food, snacks, and ice cream options.
Ride Option 2: Add 20 km to Option 1 to ride to Youngs Point and return to Beavermead Park (50 km return, terrain 3 – rolling with some hills). See Lock 27 of the Trent-Severn Waterway and the unique Lockside Trading Co. Youngs Point: no food available at Youngs Point or anywhere on this route.
Options for Non-cycling Partners or Friends
- Ask Eveline for suggestions
Sights to See in the Area
- Lock 21 Lift Lock, Peterborough – Ashburnham Drive at Hunter Street East
- Peterborough Museum & Archives
- The Canadian Canoe Museum
- Liftlock Cruises
- Lang Pioneer Village
- Peterborough Lift Lock Visitor Centre
Bike Shops in the Area (Due to COVID-19, call for hours, procedures, etc.)
- Wild Rock Outfitters (bikes & outdoor equipment/gear)
- Dream Cyclery (high-end bike shop)
- B!KE Community Bike Shop for DIY repairs and bike cleaning (Time slots for repairs: 11:30 am, 1:30 pm, & 4 pm.; book time online; 2 hours/$10; bike stand/tools included; wear a mask) Note: Emergency repairs are available in the alleyway on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 12-4 pm (cancellations possible due to rain and heat).