Join the Niagara Freewheelers for a three-day cycling adventure to explore the picturesque countryside around Peterborough when the fall colours will be at their best. Tour Leader Eveline Stout is organizing the event. Originally from Niagara, Eveline now resides in Peterborough and is looking forward to meeting ‘old’ Freewheelers friends and making some new ones. Remember to pack your walking shoes in case the weather is less than perfect for cycling or your cycling legs need a break. If you have any questions, please email Eveline Stout.
Here’s What You Need to Know About the Cycling
- ‘B’ level rides
- A variety of rides will be offered
- Will ride as a group, slowing down if the group gets too spread out, and stopping at all turns. No one will be left behind.
- Hills are impossible to avoid in the Kawarthas, and Day 2 and Day 3 do have some. There are rail trail options for those not prepared to do hills.
- We’ll follow the COVID-19 – Guidelines for Cycling. Remember to carry a mask, hand sanitizer, and disposable gloves when you are riding.
Super 8 Wyndham by Peterborough, 1257 Lansdowne Street West, Peterborough
- A block of 10 rooms is on hold until September 6
- Rooms have 2 queen beds
- Room rate: $110 + tax (2 persons); $10 per person for additional persons in room
- For reservations call: 705-876-8898 (Code: Freewheelers)
- May cancel reservation up to day of arrival
- Breakfast included (may have to take it to your room)
- Pool, hot tub, fitness room (subject to COVID-19 restrictions)
- Breakfast room will be available for socializing in the evenings, if it can be done safely
Once your room reservation is made, please email your name/cell phone number to Eveline Stout.
There are many restaurants in downtown Peterborough and near the Super 8 Wyndham. Most offer curb-side pickup/patio dining (if open in October). The small restaurants only have a few inside tables at this time, so cannot accommodate a group. Everyone is on his/her own for evening meals.
Day 3 – October 8
Start Time: Decided by group on Day 1; check out of hotel
Ride Options 1, 2, & 3
Start Location: Beavermead Park, 2011 Ashburnham Drive (enter park at Marsdale Drive), Peterborough OR Super 8 Wyndham (leave car at hotel/ride to Beavermead Park for 45 km return with an option from below). Washrooms available – find walking bridge (in line with Marsdale Drive).
Lunch Options: Keene (Restaurants available for take-out food/patio dining or pack a picnic lunch. FreshCo is just 1 km from the hotel. Let’s hope for a warm day so we can enjoy our lunch outdoors. If it’s raining, windy, or cold, it won’t be much fun eating outdoors so bring weather-appropriate gear. Everyone should be prepared to bring snacks/lunch/water for the ride in case the situation changes and places are closed.)
Ride Option 1: Rail trail towards Keene & beyond/rail trail back (hard-packed gravel, 30 km return, terrain 4 – flat). Pick your distance as rail trail goes beyond Keene. No lunch options as route does not go into Keene.
Ride Option 2: Road to Keene/rail trail (hard-packed gravel) back (33 km return, terrain 3 – rolling with some hills)
Ride Option 3: Road to Keene/road back (45 km loop return, terrain 2 – multiple and/or large hills)
Ride Option 4
Start Location: Check out of hotel and drive to Lakeview Beach Park, 1675 Simcoe Street South, Oshawa. From Lakeview Beach Park cycle the lovely Waterfront Trail towards Pickering (60 km return, terrain – flat). Choose your distance. No food on route and no guide. Follow the Waterfront Trail signs.
Options for Non-cycling Partners or Friends
- Ask Eveline for suggestions
Sights to See in the Area
- Lock 21 Lift Lock, Peterborough – Ashburnham Drive at Hunter Street East
- Peterborough Museum & Archives
- The Canadian Canoe Museum
- Liftlock Cruises
- Lang Pioneer Village
- Peterborough Lift Lock Visitor Centre
Bike Shops in the Area (Due to COVID-19, call for hours, procedures, etc.)
- Wild Rock Outfitters (bikes & outdoor equipment/gear)
- Dream Cyclery (high-end bike shop)
- B!KE Community Bike Shop for DIY repairs and bike cleaning (Time slots for repairs: 11:30 am, 1:30 pm, & 4 pm.; book time online; 2 hours/$10; bike stand/tools included; wear a mask) Note: Emergency repairs are available in the alleyway on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 12-4 pm (cancellations possible due to rain and heat).