Join Tour Leader, John Swart on a 2-day gravel ride around the Simcoe County Loop. This well-established 160 km circular loop connects various gravel rail trails and paved waterfront trails between Barrie, Midland, and Orillia. We’ll ride the loop clockwise from Barrie. Day 1 will begin just north of Barrie at the Simcoe County Museum where we’ll ride to Midland via Penetanguishene. Plus we’ll add 10 km of road riding to explore the area around Balm Beach. We’ll stay at the Comfort Inn (close to the trail) in Midland, and have a group dinner on Tuesday evening. Day 1 distance is approximately 75 km. Day 2 we’ll complete the loop via the Tay Trail to Waubaushene, then ride on to Orillia for lunch before returning to our vehicles in Barrie. Day 2 distance is approximately 110 km.
Information on the trail, including maps and GPX files: Simcoe County Loop Note: GPX files will not be available for the short loop out to Balm Beach. The trail is sturdy stone dust or paved, so it can be ridden on 700 x 28c tires and larger.
Day 1: Tuesday, September 19 Start Time: 11 am Start Location: Simcoe County Museum parking lot, 1151 Ontario 26, Minesing (north of Barrie). Note: Minesing is the mailing address, the museum is actually in Midhurst. Simcoe County Tourism has designated this parking lot for leaving vehicles overnight to accommodate those riding the trail. You must register your vehicle online before arriving: Simcoe County Museum Online Booking Distance: 75 km
- Rated B4 group ride.
- Wear bright clothing as we’ll be on city streets in Barrie, Penetanguishene, and Midland.
- Arrive at the start with a full stomach. Bring a lunch/snack to eat in the parking lot before departure, or grab a bite on the way up to Barrie.
- There will be a variety/ice cream store in Wyvale along the route and we could make a refreshment stop on the Penatanguishene waterfront in the afternoon.
- Group dinner
Accommodations: Comfort Inn, 980 King Street, Midland
- Rooms have 2 queen beds and are on the ground floor; bikes may be stored in rooms
- Nightly Rate: $115 + tax, based on double occupancy
- Reservations: 705-526-2090
- Six rooms will be held under ‘Freewheeler’ until Friday, August 25
- Reserve your room for Tuesday, September 19
- May cancel reservation up to 24 hours prior to the day of arrival (September 18 at 2 pm)
- Complimentary hot breakfast served from 6 – 9 am
- You may stay anywhere you like, if you prefer
Once your room reservation is made, please email John Swart to confirm that you are joining the ride and provide your contact/emergency contact information. If you’d like to share a room or carpool, please let John know and he’ll make others in the same situation aware on your behalf.
If you have any questions, please contact John Swart. He has pre-ridden the route and will be able to answer any questions.